Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Didn't God Hear Me Say No?

When I realized that I keep finding myself in the same type of situation over and over, one I thought I had gotten away from, I started feeling quite annoyed. Didn't He hear me say no? Didn't the Almighty get it? This is NOT how I wanted to spend my life. Didn't He realize that this is the situation I was trying to avoid and that's why I've made the choices I've made? Why do things keep working out this way?

First I tried to be grateful for the things I DO enjoy. It's not like things are awful but my life feels wasted - like I've taken a big step backward. So why am I back in this situation now that I've finished with it?
1. Maybe it's all coincidence - doubt it.
2. There's something in my character that needs work and this is the situation that will best develop it.
3. It's possible that it's not all about me anyway - I'm here because others need me to be. This is obviously part of it but my selfishness makes me deny it.

I think it's both 2 and 3 but mostly 3.

Insanity is tongue-in-cheek defined as doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. What is it called when you keep trying different things but always end up with the same result? "Meant" to be? Intended by the Almighty? Does he really pay that close attention to someone's life? Often it's obvious that he does, other times I think he's just set this world in motion and he'll be back to check on us later. So would that mean finding oneself in the same type of life situation over and over means we've finagled our way back into it subconsciously, or perhaps as a matter of habit? What about when everyone else agrees that they 'didn't see that coming!'

On my numbered list, there's also a possible number four that I don't like to think about. Maybe 4 is that I won't be successful otherwise anyway and this is His way of providing for me. Sad thought but possible.

No matter the reason, even if it is all coincidence, just the way life works out sometimes, finding ourselves in the same situation over and over is much easier and more bearable knowing we can let him do something with it. There's no point in wasting the time - eventually we'll understand why He didn't pay attention to our "No." But only if we look at it right and LISTEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment